Friday 11 April 2014

Couch to 5k

I am the least sporty person ever; however, in a moment of temporary insanity a few months ago, I decided to buy lots of running clothes and brand new trainers and to start running so that I can partake in a sponsored run for an animal charity! A few months later, and the only time I've worn these clothes out is to the spa on mother's day. As the weather is getting nicer and the days are getting lighter, I no longer have an excuse to just wear the clothes around the house because I think they look cool!

So, late last week I went on my first run/ jog/ crawl with Poppy. When I came back, my mum opened the front door to a happy Poppy, and me... gasping for breath, and dripping with sweat. She asked me what was wrong in a panicked voice, and I proudly said we'd had a good work out and asked how long we'd been out. 10 minutes. Well that was awkward!


My boyfriend's mum therefore suggested I try the Couch to 5k program. This is something her and Tina's business (Tina is Evie's new mummy), Wellness Counts, recommends as an achievable program for couch potatoes like me!



As Teddy has so much energy, I thought he'd be a great running partner for this training; so on the weekend, Matt, Teddy and I completed the first part of the program. It is a 9 week program, with 3 half an hour sessions of training per week. In week 1, each 60 second jog is interluded by a 90 second walk. This was challenging for me but a lot more manageable than running for 10 whole minutes straight! Even Teddy, who could give Usain Bolt a run for his money, was a little tired by the end of it!


Since then, I've been out running with Poppy and Teddy to complete the final 2 parts of week 1... and then some! I've surprised myself by the fact that I'm actually really enjoying it, and even better, so are the dogs!
























No comments:

Post a Comment